This website (and any site that links here and is run by myself, Ryan Verhey) collects some data only for analytics purposes. Analytics is collected via self-hosted third-party analytics software called Matomo, which I host on my servers. This data is not shared with anyone. You may opt out of tracking below. Additionally, my Matomo instance is currently set to respect your "Do Not Track" preference. Please see below for more privacy information on Matomo, which is based on a GDPR template taken from their site and edited to fit my usage:
Matomo is an open source web analytics platform. A web analytics platform is used by a website owner in order to measure, collect, analyse and report visitors data for purposes of understanding and optimizing their website. If you would like to see what Matomo looks like, you can access a demo version at: https://demo.matomo.cloud.
purpose of the processing
Matomo is used to analyse the behavior of the website visitors to identify potential pitfalls; not found pages, which contents are the most appreciated, etc. Once the data is processed, Matomo generates reports for website owners to take action on.
Matomo is processing the following personal data:
- IP address
- Location of the user
- Date and time
- Title of the page being viewed
- URL of the page being viewed
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page
- Screen resolution
- Time in local timezone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded
- Link clicks to an outside domain
- Pages generation time
- Country, region, city
- Main Language of the browser
- User Agent of the browser
The processing of personal data with Matomo is based on legitimate interests.
the legitimate interests
Processing your personal data helps me understand traffic to my websites. It is not used to identify or profile you in any way.
recipient of the personal data
The personal data received through Matomo are sent to:
- Dreamhost, my web host where the data are stored and where the Matomo instance is hosted.
indirect data collection
- Server Logs: If you are using this site, the visit is logged by the host of this website (Dreamhost). This log contains your IP Address which allows you to be identified indirectly via your internet service provider. The collection of this data is a legal obligation and required for security. You cannot oppose it and the data is at no time used for other purposes.
details of transfers to third country and safeguards
Matomo data is hosted in the United States of America on Dreamhost servers. See here for information on Dreamhost's GDPR compliance.
We are keeping the personal data captured within Matomo for 360 days.
the existence of each of the data subject’s rights
As Matomo is processing personal data on legitimate interests, you can exercise the following rights:
- Right of access: you can ask us at any time to access your personal data.
- Right to erasure: you can ask us at any time to delete all the personal data we are processing about you.
- Right to object: you can object to the tracking of your personal data by using the following opt-out feature:
If you wish to exercise any of those rights, feel free to contact me at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that any identifying information that you send to me will be sent to and stored on the servers of my email provider: Mailbox.org.
the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
If you think that the way we process your personal data with Matomo analytics is infringing the law, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
the existence of automated decision-making, including profiling and information about how decisions are made
Neither Matomo nor Ryan Verhey do any profiling.